The last major art works from the estate of American artist Louis Comfort Tiffany will go on permanent display for the first time in February at Florida's Charles Hosmer Morse Museum of American Art.
From Reuters Life! -- A new 6,000-square-foot gallery at the Winter Park museum will be opened on February 19, nearly 54 years after a fire destroyed Laurelton Hall, the turn-of-the-century New York home of Tiffany, who was best known for his leaded glass works.
The gallery will house the surviving components of the estate, including the reassembled Daffodil Terrace, an outdoor room marked by eight 11-foot (3.4 meter) marble columns topped with wreaths of glass flowers and covered by a cedar, tile and glass ceiling.
"Laurelton Hall was not simply another house that he did," said Laurence J. Ruggiero, the director of the museum. "Tiffany saw this as a statement about art and philosophy and an attitude about life."
Over the past five years, the museum has been developing the new gallery designed to display Tiffany's remaining large-scale works in a manner that suggests their placement at his estate, as well as his love of natural beauty and his style of blurring the line between indoors and outdoors. The gallery will also include 250 objects from or related to the estate.
The Morse Museum also houses the Tiffany Chapel, a Byzantine-inspired interior created for the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago, and an extensive collection of Tiffany pottery, jewelry, ecclesiastical works and lead-line drawings which served as patterns for his glass works. There are also thousands of photographs and business records from his studio. GL
Link to Reuters Article
- GALLEN-Kallela, Akseli Rustic Life, 1867
- WIIK Maria Girl Carding, 1883
- CHURBERG Fanny In the Forest, 1878
- EDELFELT Albert Louis Pasteur 1885
- Mark Ryden -- Happy Birthday -- by Florida Fine Ar...
- "All Locals" Show Opening at Bear and Bird -- Satu...
- Call to Artists -- All-Media Juried Biennial 2011 ...
- art company scotland
- John Singer Sargent -- HAPPY BIRTHDAY -- by Florid...
- Salvador Dalí Museum Grand Opening -- posted by Fl...
- University of Miami's Beaux Arts Festival This Wee...
- Museum of Contemporary Art Jacksonville picks new ...
- Museum in Winter Park to showcase Tiffany glass wo...
- ▼ January (13)
- ► 2010 (388)